Operations are improving daily but there are still some staffing issues affecting ship times.
We promise to do our best to get your orders processed and shipped as quickly as possible.
Thank you to everyone for your patience - we will keep you updated here as changes occur.
Black Hills Gold FAQ | Frequently Asked Questions
MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
BLACK HILLS GOLD JEWELRY
• What is Black Hills Gold jewelry?By law, any piece of jewelry bearing the description "Black Hills Gold" must be manufactured in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Traditional Black Hills Gold designs are typically comprised of pink colored and green colored leaves and gold grapes and grapevines. The pink color is made by combining gold with copper, and the delicate green color is achieved by adding sterling silver with gold. Though there are now a number of Black Hills Gold jewelry manufacturers, Landstroms is the oldest Black Hills Gold jewelry manufacturer and their roots date back to 1878. BlackHillsGoldSource is an authorized distributor for original Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry, and that is all we handle because Landstroms is not only the original, it’s the best! For more information, visit our video page at: https://www.blackhillsgoldsource.com/videos
• How long has Landstroms been around?The first gold found in the Black Hills was on July 27, 1874 when a miner in Custer's 7th Cavalry named Horatio N. Ross discovered it in French Creek in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This led to the Black Hills gold rush of the late 1800’s, which has been referred to as the last great American gold rush. It also brought a number of jewelry makers to the area and in 1878, a man named S.T. Butler opened the first Black Hills Gold jewelry manufacturing store in Deadwood, South Dakota. Over the years, the company was split into various different companies until 1944 when Ivan Landstrom bought back all of the components making Landstrom's the sole owner of all the original Black Hills Gold designs. So Landstrom's is the ORIGINAL Black Hills Gold, and is still located in the rich, historic Mount Rushmore area. For more information about the history of Black Hills Gold, visit our blog at http://blackhillsgoldjewelry.blogspot.com and our videos page at https://www.blackhillsgoldsource.com/videos
• Why is Landstroms more expensive than other Black Hills Gold manufacturers?One visit to take the Landstroms factory tour at their Rapid City factory and you’ll see why Landstroms is a little more expensive than the other Black Hills Gold jewelry out there. To get straight to the point, if you compare apples to apples, Landstroms Black Hills jewelry has more gold, more detail, more articulation, more beauty and more hand-made quality than any other Black Hills Gold jewelry out there. In fact, if you consider the actual weight of the gold in each piece, Landstrom’s is actually cheaper than the others. To learn more, visit our informative blog and read about Landstroms Clink & Clunk Test.
• How can I tell whether my jewelry was made by Landstrom's? (this is being updated with the Riddles acquisition)All Landstrom's Original Black Hills Gold Creations bear the following manufacturer's marking:
All Landstroms vermeil jewelry is stamped with:
Other registered trademarks in the Landstrom's "family" include:
These trademarks go back to before Ivan Landstrom consolidated the various Black Hills Gold companies which are now known as Landstroms. Some resellers claim to include a “Landstroms Certificate Of Authenticity” with each piece. Be aware of companies making such claims as the only thing Landstroms includes in the distinctive, white Landstroms box is your original Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry and the following informative fold-out:
• Does Landstroms offer a warranty?Yes, every piece of Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry carries Landstroms Lifetime Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Of course, physical abuse or prolonged normal wear are not covered. For complete warranty details and instructions, please follow this link to Landstroms Warranty.
• Can Landstroms do custom work?BlackHillsGoldSource offers a complete selection of Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry, but we also work with customers who have special needs for custom items such as mounting an heirloom stone on a Black Hills Gold wedding ring, or creating a matching earring from an existing pendant design. Every request for custom work must first be submitted to Landstroms Custom Order Department for their review. If they feel they can do the work without compromising the quality of the original design, then they will respond with an estimate of the cost, typically within a few days. Once the custom order is placed with the factory, it will take three to four weeks to complete the job, depending on the complexity of the work and the work load of the factory at that time (orders place near holidays such as Christmas or Mothers Day may require additional time). Though all custom builds come with Landstroms Lifetime Warranty, they are not returnable or exchangeable. Please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com if you are interested in custom work.
• I am nervous ordering on the internet. Can I place my order over the telephone?It’s just good sense to be discretionary about with whom you share your personal or financial information. We want you to know that you can shop online at BlackHillsGoldSource.com with total confidence. We have partnered with PayPal, a leading payment gateway since 1998 to offer safe and secure credit card and electronic check transactions for our customers. The company adheres to strict industry standards for payment processing, including state of the art encryption hardware and software.
We respect your privacy and will NEVER sell or distribute your personal information to ANYONE for ANY reason, or use it for any other purpose other than authorized by you, our valued customer. If you would still like to place your order over the telephone, just call us at 605-221-6120 Monday through Friday.
• Do you accept personal checks?Yes, we accept personal checks but it can take up to eleven days after receipt for your check to clear. We also accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover, as well as PayPal. If you are interested you can set up a secure PayPal account here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_registration-run
It is very simple to do and once set up, you can also use this account for eBay and other online sites. If you prefer to send a personal check for your order, please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com for details and mailing instructions.
• How long will it take to receive my order?
Every order received by BlackHillsGoldSource is processed for payment and then forwarded to Landstroms shipping department to be filled. If your item is in stock, it will typically ship within 48 hours (Monday through Friday) via USPS Priority Mail, unless a form of expedited shipping was selected. If it is not in stock, then it will take approximately ten working days (again Monday-Friday) for Landstroms to build one from scratch for you, regardless of the shipping method selected. We will notify you by email with an estimated ship date within 24 hours of receiving your order if your item is not in stock.
• Can you ship via UPS instead of the US Postal Service?Unless you are shipping internationally, every order placed at BlackHillsGoldSource.com is automatically queued for shipment via USPS Priority Mail. You can also select expedited shipping, for additional cost, right on our online order form (but please call us first to check stock). We use the US Postal Service because they have improved tracking integration, are generally speedier, and they deliver on Saturdays. Some rural locations are simply better serviced by the Post Office and they will also deliver on Saturday whereas in many cases, delivery via UPS wouldn’t be until Monday. We also ship all outgoing International Orders though the US Postal Service.
• If I don’t like my jewelry when I see it can I return it for an exchange or refund?Buying jewelry or any personal item on the internet presents some difficulties because you just can’t see it in person first and try it on. But let’s face it, you’re just not going to find a nearby local brick and mortar store with the complete selection, or the rock bottom prices we can offer at BlackHillsGoldSource.com Even with the increased shipping costs since gasoline has gone up in price, you’re still getting substantial savings than if you bought your Black Hills Gold ring at a local retailer. But still, shipping charges can add up if you make a hasty purchase and have to send your jewelry back and forth, one or more times.
Many of our customers have seen the item they’re ordering in person, either on a trip to the Black Hills or at a jeweler that carries Landstrom’s jewelry. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see your item in-person, you are in for a treat when arrives! We want our customers to be fully satisfied, so we stress taking the time to choose the right piece before placing your order. If you ever have a question about a particular piece, please do not hesitate to call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com and we will do our best to answer all of your questions so that you are confident with your order.
However, in the unfortunate event that you need to return any Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Creation, we will accept returns of unused items for 30 days. The original tags must not be removed and jewelry must be in original packaging because Landstrom's examines all returns for damage or to determine if it has been worn, prior to approval of refund. Also, because Black Hills Gold mothers rings and pendants include custom placement of birthstones, there are no returns of mothers jewelry, or other special order items or discontinued items except under Landstrom's Lifetime Warranty.
We cannot be responsible for either your initial or your return shipping charges, so in the event you are not making an exchange and would like a refund, only the purchase price will be refunded. And because of card processing fees and inspection and handling costs, there will be a shipping and restocking fee for returns (see our Return Policy). If you are exchanging your item for a different size, or even a different item, this charge does not apply. Please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com to request a Return Authorization Number (RA#) and instructions for returning your jewelry.
• I just received my Black Hills Gold ring and I ordered the wrong size. What do I do?
The best thing to do is send the ring back to Landstroms factory. Landstroms can generally resize most Black Hills Gold rings up or down up to two sizes, and will either exchange your new ring or resize it at no charge one time (except for Landstroms wedding jewelry), though you will be responsible for return shipping costs from Landstroms. Landstroms will exchange or resize your ring at their discretion based on availability and configuration of the ring you have purchased.
Landstroms2707 Mt. Rushmore Road
Rapid City, SD 57701
Please include a note with your name, address and telephone number and explain that the ring is brand new and you would like the ring resized, and specify the size you would like. Also, best describe how the current ring fits (loose, very loose, tight, very tight, etc.). Once Landstroms receives the ring, it will take approximately one week for them to do the work and ship it back to you. They will contact you prior to shipment for payment of return shipping charges. If you need to contact Landstroms Customer Service, their telephone number is 800-658-3361.
If you are interested in having an older Black Hills Gold ring resized, Landstroms will charge a reasonable fee to do the resizing. Please call Landstroms at 800-658-3361 before shipping your ring back to them to make arrangements.
• My Black Hills Gold is damaged (worn, broken, etc.) and needs repair. How do I send it back?Every piece of Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry carries Landstroms Lifetime Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Of course, physical abuse or prolonged normal wear are not covered. For complete warranty details, please refer to the warranty by following the link above.
In the unfortunate event that your Black Hills Gold jewelry ever does need repair, you will need to ship it insured to Landstroms factory at the following address, along with a description of the problem, your name, address and telephone number:
Landstroms2707 Mt. Rushmore Road
Rapid City, SD 57701
Landstroms will assess the repair and contact you with a quote for the work if it is not a warranty repair. Landstroms does their best to give you fast turn-around and repairs are very reasonably priced. If it is a warranty repair, Landstroms will perform the work and return your item to you via UPS Ground. If you need to contact Landstroms Customer Service to check on the status of your repair, they can be reached at 800-658-3361
• I lost one of my earrings. Can I order just a “half-pair”?In the unfortunate event that you lose one of your Black Hills Gold earrings, Landstroms can build a replacement for you. Please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com for a quote. Most of the time, a “half-pair” is simply half the regular price of a standard pair, but there are a few exceptions, so please contact us to be sure. Though not necessary, the best procedure after contacting us to place your order would be to send the remaining earring back to Landstroms. Every piece of Landstroms Black Hills Gold is hand made, so each has its own character. By sending your remaining earring back, Landstroms can make an exact match for you. And they will also professionally clean and polish your exiting one for no charge as well!
• I saw a Black Hills Gold ring on television (at Sears, K-Mart, etc.) I would like to order. Do you carry it?At BlackHillsGoldSource.com, we carry only Original Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry. Landstroms does not sell their jewelry at any department store such as K-Mart, Kohl’s, Sears or Wal-Mart. Nor do they sell it on television through QVC or Home Shopping Network, etc. Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry is only available through authorized distributors and at Landstroms Retail Store at the Rapid City factory in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Any Black Hills Gold jewelry you may see for sale in department stores or on TV has not been made by Landstroms. If you want the best Black Hills Gold, be sure to buy only Landstroms Black Hills Gold.
BlackHillsGoldSource brings you the best Black Hills Gold jewelry, made only by Landstroms.
• I have a beautiful pendant that is about 10 years old and now needs a new chain. Can you supply just the chain?Nearly every Black Hills Gold pendant made by Landstroms comes with a complimentary 18” long 12/20 gold-filled chain. And Black Hills Silver pendants come with complimentary 18” long Sterling Silver chains. These chains are not made by Landstroms, nor are they Black Hills Gold, but are vendor items that Landstroms provides simply as a courtesy to their customers. A few high end pieces, such as the magnificent PE855 Black Hills Gold Cross Pendant and BR405X Butterfly Pendant do not come with complimentary chains at all because they warrant the upgraded chains which are offered as an option during purchase. But the majority of shoppers end up buying replacement chains from their local jeweler because they can see and feel the texture of a number of different chains and are this way best able to choose a chain they will be happy with. However, if you would like a replacement chain from Landstroms, you will need to ship your pendant insured to Landstroms at the following address, along with an explanation of what you would like, your name, address and telephone number:
Landstroms2707 Mt. Rushmore Road
Rapid City, SD 57701
Most of the time Landstroms will replace the chain for just the return shipping fee, but be sure to check with them first by calling 800-658-3361. However, the cost of shipping both ways is likely much more than the cost of a new chain, another reason most customers simply shop for a new chain at their local jeweler.
• I am interested in a particular Black Hills Gold Ring. Can we visit you and try it on?BlackHillsGoldSource is only an online portal for Landstroms Black Hills Gold jewelry, so we do not have a showroom. Everything on our website is shipped directly from Landstroms factory so that we can always give you the best prices and fastest delivery available. Aside from visiting Landstroms spectacular showroom in Rapid City, South Dakota, or taking potluck with whatever a retail jeweler happens to have in stock at any given time (and paying significantly more for it!), we suggest you take your time and study the photos and specifications on our website and make your choice carefully. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about any particular item, so please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com if you have any questions. We want our customers to be fully satisfied, so we stress taking the time to choose the right piece before placing your order. Please be sure to review our return/exchange policy.
• Can you send me a catalog?Landstroms has a catalog available for purchase, but it is generally meant for dealers and does not include prices.It has beautiful, full-color photos that are very close to actual size, it’s nearly 90 pgs of quality Black Hills Gold jewelry from the company that started it all, and it’s the only one currently available. We've recently uploaded this entire catalog to our website where you can download it free of charge and save yourself the cost of having us ship one to you. You can download it here: Landstrom’s catalog
Over the years Landstroms has created thousands of Black Hills Gold designs. At BlackHillsGoldSource we do our best to include all of the most popular styles on our website, and we are updating and adding items regularly. However, some of the less popular styles may not currently be on our website. If you ever see something elsewhere that you cannot find on our website, please call us at 605-221-6120 or email us at info(at)BlackHillsGoldSource(dot)com as WE CARRY EVERY ITEM MADE BY LANDSTROMS!
Shopping Cart - US Dollars
100% Secure Transactions