Black Hills Gold Info
What is Tri-color Black Hills Gold jewelry?
Copper is mixed with gold to create a pink colored gold while mixing sterling silver with gold results in a delicate green color. These two “colored golds” are traditionally used for the leaves and regular yellow gold is used for the main body of the jewelry, hence the term Tri-color jewelry.
Landstroms Black Hills Gold History
Landstrom’s is the first and genuine Black Hills Gold manufacturer. Landstrom’s roots date back to the Black Hills Gold Rush. On July 27, 1874, a miner in General George Armstrong Custer’s 7th Cavalry named Horatio N. Ross found the first gold twinkling in French Creek in the Black Hills.
Then, in 1878, S.T. Butler, trained by Black Hills pioneer and prospector Henri LeBeau, opened the first Black Hills Gold jewelry manufacturing store with his son, George M. Butler in Deadwood, South Dakota. In 1919, the company was divided into two companies, the F.L. Thorpe Company and the Black Hills Jewelry Manufacturing Company.
In 1944 Ivan Landstrom bought the Black Hills Jewelry Manufacturing Company and in 1995 Black Hills history went full circle when Landstrom’s acquired the F.L. Thorpe Company making Landstroms the sole owner of all the original Black Hills Gold designs!
Located in the rich, historic Mount Rushmore area, Landstroms has been making the best Black Hills Jewelry to be found in South Dakota from the beginning!